Fun week of jumping for Bronze Tour winner
Rachel Malcolm has a penchant for producing young horses and once again, her efforts were rewarded, this time in winning the Bronze Tour Final aboard Henton Excalibur.
She has had the Hanoverian gelding for 10 years, and together have done plenty. Today was more about fun for the 11-year-old after Rachel opted to step him back from the Silver Tour he competed in on the opening week of the event.
They had a little moment during the jump-off. Rachel watched eventual third-place-getter Jaime Campbell and Lanice van de Heffinck take an inside turn to the wall and decided to follow suit. “It was tricky but it came off. That was where I saved the time,” she said. “John built a really nice track with just the right amount through to the jump-off.”
She says it is always fun to win any tour at Takapoto. “The Bronze is a good stepping stone for the younger ones and a fun class for the older ones.”
And Rachel had plenty of good things to say about the APL Sand Arena. “It has been fantastic. The surface was really good and will get better with time. We are incredibly lucky to have it here – it is good for the legs of the horses, especially at this time of the season,” said Rachel. “We all appreciate Takapoto going to such effort.”
Thirty started the class with seven coming back for the jump-off where Rachel and Henton Excalibur coming home in 39.73 seconds. Nakeysha Lammers and Balboa NZPH were also double clear in 42.09 and Samantha Morrison aboard Corfu the last of those to finish with a clean slate in 45.6.
- Rachel Malcolm (Cambridge) Henton Excalibur (Hanoverian by El Bundy, out of Henton Dungarven – owned by Rachel Malcolm)
- Nakeysha Lammers (Whanganui) Balboa NZPH (NZ sport horse by Orlando, out of Touch of Blur NZPH – owned by Diana Lammers)
- Samantha Morrison (Tauranga/Australia) Corfu (warmblood by Euro Sport Centavos, out of Sabertage – owned by NZ Showjumpers Ltd)
- Kirsten Worker (Clevedon) Melanie’s Choice (by One Eye, out of April Reign – owned by Kirsten Worker and Allan Crowley)
- Jaime Campbell (Cambridge) Lanice van de Heffinck (BWP by Plat Blue, out of Hades van de Heffinck – owned by Takapoto Estate)
- Annabel Francis (Taupo) Cherokee NZPH (NZ sport horse by Quod de bois Margot, out of Tax Blues NZPH – owned by Annabel Francis)
For full results, head to www.equestrianentries.co.nz
- Zara dances to victory in Junior
- Pint sized pocket rocket takes Gold Tour...
- Special win for Kelly in GAT
- Dr Rach and Smokescreen win Amateur
- No bugs on this dude
- Trophy best work of Artist
- Rising Stars
- Esperanza wins Pony Tour
- Tegan adds Silver Tour to season tally
- Super racehorse tops Amateur Qualifier
- Briar’s special double
- Young stars on a big stage
- Teen Annabel wins opening Gold Qualifier
- Horses at the heart of his world
- Takapoto ramps up for week two
- Q&A with Amber Fuller
- Tegan takes Takapoto
- Sam McIntosh Q&A
- Takapoto rated highly by Aussie great
- Champs toasted in Age Group Tours
- Mighty Ninja Stars in Gold Tour Qualifier
- Opening day of Takapoto Estate 2019 a...
- Takapoto breaks new ground with cutting edge...
- New Zealand’s best heading to nation’s premier...
- Takapoto gets behind Global Amateur Tour